Departments / Biotechnology
Department Chair: Prof. Alik Honigman
Department Secretary: Nira Jacoud
Biotechnology can be broadly defined as the industrial use of a living organism (or part of one) to produce food, medicines and other products. The field is based on new technologies and its application to existing biological organisms. Biotechnology currently contributes to advancement in many areas such as the health and food industries, environmental quality and advanced agriculture. The field is continuously developing rapidly with the most dramatic advances emerging in the past few years.
The biotechnology curriculum at Hadassah College addresses many of the developing fields of biotechnology, including molecular biology, drug design and pharmacogenomics, DNA analysis, protein activity guided modeling, bioinformatics, microbiology, molecular genetics and immunology.
The great potential of biotechnology is reflected in the interest of industrial companies to develop new products from modern technologies. A vast amount of biological knowledge, particularly in the field of molecular biology has been generated in recent years. An example of this is the recent sequencing of the human genome.
There is a need for more trained professions to apply this knowledge. The Hadassah College Biotechnology program is one of the few programs designed to provide its graduates with the necessary elements to either integrate into the industry or to continue towards higher academic degrees in related fields.
Israel, a world leader in the field, has an exceptional level of output of development and use of biotechnology. One of the fastest growing industries in the world, it has significant importance to the future of Israel. The implementation of programs is imperative to train qualified professionals to be at the forefront of biotechnology in Israel.
The biotechnology program has introduced courses featuring topics at the forefront of the field. Students are taught the theory of biotechnology combined with hands-on experience to ensure that they receive skills that will support them as technologies change.
In recent years the dynamic science of pharamacogenics has been developing rapidly. Research focuses on the genetic differences amongst humans and the affect of a certain medication on the person. The goal of the research is to explain why in certain cases treatment is effective. Researchers have the potential to help doctors decide which treatment is recommended for each patient thus facilitating quicker recovery time.
Drug development is considered the leading research field in the pharmacology industry. Many resources are invested in producing new drugs for treatment of cancer, AIDS, CP, Alzheimer's and other diseases, while many patents are in their developmental stages. The goal of the research is to produce new drugs according to the pathological functions needed.
Employment Opportunities for Biotechnology Graduates
Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical Industries
- Genetic sequence analysis
- Research and analysis of genetic structures
- Development of tools for genetic analysis
- Development and maintenance of genetic databases
- Development of new molecular structures through protein modeling and design
- Modification of existing proteins
- Development of new antibiotics and other drugs
- Analysis of the effect of genetic variability on drug activity
- Development of new treatments based on information derived from the human genome
- Gene therapy
Hospitals, Universities and Research Institutions
- Diagnosis of genetic or molecular diseases
- Assistance in clinical research related to genetic and molecular diseases
- Academic research
Agriculture and Food Industries
- Development of genetically engineered plants
- Plant protection through genetic engineering
- Plant enhancement and improvement of animal characteristics
- Development and applications of products derived from algae
Graduates will be granted a recognized B.Sc. Degree and will be trained as professionals in the fields of biotechnology with capabilities to develop and apply relevant new technologies.
Duration of Studies
Terms of Admission
Full high school matriculation and psychometric examination calculated together with the department's admission requirements and personal interview.
For more details in Hebrew
Main Fields of Study
- Genetics and the genetic bases of disease
- Molecular biology
- Pharmacology and metabolism of drugs
- Genomics, proteomics and genetic statistics
- Industrial processes in biotechnology
- Legal, social and ethical issues in biotechnology
- Establishment, development, and management of biotechnological start-ups
- Applications of biotechnology and bioinformatics