TAKA is an academic preparatory program for young Olim. The program's goal is to ease new immigrants' entry into the world of Israeli academia, while providing an instant social circle and support system. Before embarking on a Bachelor's degree at an Israeli college or university, students enrolled in TAKA can brush up on their core academic skills in a framework specifically designed to meet their needs.
Helping New Immigrants Build Social Networks and Support Systems
TAKA provides students with dedicated counselors to help ease their transition into Israeli life and academia. This support is an invaluable resource for young immigrants, since many of them move to Israel without friends or family. Through TAKA, students are offered personal, one-on-one guidance, exciting supplementary trips and activities.
A Curriculum to Meet the Needs of Olim
The five-month-program, offered twice a year, focuses on intensive Hebrew studies as well as courses in mathematics, statistics, English language, and art. Operated in collaboration with the Ministry of Absorption, students from around the world learn while experiencing Israel.
The curriculum consists of basic core academics combined with a specialization in one of three fields. The curriculum can be outlined as follows:
- Hebrew language instruction (multiple proficiency levels)
- English language instruction (multiple proficiency levels)
- Israel culture
TAKA is open to new immigrants who are eligible to receive assistance from the Israeli Ministry of Absorption's Students' Authority. In addition to meeting the Students' Authority eligibility criteria, applicants must:
- Successfully meet the minimum Hebrew level required (completion of Ulpan Aleph and sufficient score on the Hebrew language level placement exam).
- Hold a recognized high school diploma
- Be a candidate for Bachelor's or Master's degrees in Israel
Students are housed in dormitories under the coordination of the Students' Authority. Tuition is covered by the Students' Authority, but additional costs include:
- TAKA registration fee of NIS 220
- Monthly rent for Students' Authority housing (at a highly subsidized rate)
- Personal allowances for food, clothing and other needs.